OSCE Parliamentary Assembly Research Assistant Fellowship
There are 201 days left
Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, North Korea, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uzbekistan
The OSCE PA Research Assistant Programme is open to graduate students and recent graduates of political science, law, international relations or other related fields from OSCE participating States and Partners for Co-operation. Research Assistants develop their knowledge of international politico-military, economic and environmental, and human rights affairs and build their professional skills in areas connected to the work of the Parliamentary Assembly in Copenhagen or Vienna.
– conduct background research on topics relevant to the activities of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly;
– draft a variety of documents, such as briefing reports, speeches, statements, talking points, minutes of meetings and background papers, to support the work of the Assembly, including in the context of election observation missions, various official visits, meetings and special projects carried out by the International Secretariat;
– assistants in Vienna attend official meetings of the OSCE decision-making bodies and other informal meetings of the OSCE participating States and write concise reports thereof to keep the Assembly abreast of key security developments and negotiations taking place ;
– complete administrative tasks, such as day-to-day practical work in the office, translation and proofreading of official documents, filing and other necessary tasks;
– attend the events of the Assembly conducted in the field, such as election observations, statutory meetings, field visits, etc.
– citizenship in one of the OSCE participating States, or Partners for Co-operation, up to 28 years of age;
– master’s degree (or equivalent) in Political Science, International Relations, Law or a related field. Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their degree if all requirements for their MA have been fully completed;
– excellent written and spoken English is mandatory. Knowledge of other official OSCE languages (French, German, Italian, Russian or Spanish) is a strong asset;
– strong analytical and writing skills;
– keen interest in international security affairs and parliamentary diplomacy;
– previous experience of working in an international organization or in a parliament is desirable;
– familiarity with issues related to elections, human rights, arms control, transnational threats, migration, countering terrorism, good governance, climate change, media affairs, conference management, finance and administration is an asset;
– computer literacy, including word processing and research tools.
Fellowship positions are granted for six month periods.
Research Assistants in Copenhagen get an allowance of 656 Euros per month plus free housing.
Research Assistants in Vienna, get an allowance of 1,000 euros per month to cover for basic expenses and accommodation.
How to apply
Applications are accepted at any time of year, with the main intake of Assistants for the year occurring in February/March.
– intake in February/March – deadline is 1 October
Interested applicants should submit their application form, a concise cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a transcript of grades from the applicant’s master’s degree, two letters of recommendation and a recent photograph, to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Ms.Dana Bjerregaard indicating in the title of the email their name/surname, country of citizenship and preferred date for starting the Assistantship.