English Teaching Internship in India
Internship: Volunteer English Teaching
Duration: 1-12 months
Dates: all year
Open to: everyone from all around the world
Infopack: download here
Cost: Volunteer English Teaching internship has following fees
- Immediate non-returnable application processing fee of £20 (or €23 / £28) for all programmes
- 1 month duration: £440 (or €500 / $570)
- 2 months duration: £490 (or €550 / $630)
- 3 months duration: £530 (or €600 / $680)
- 4 months duration: £580 (or €650 / $740)
- 8 months duration: £750 (or €850 / $970)
- 12 month duration: £930 (or €1050 / $1200)
What is included in the fee:
- Airport pick up on arrival and drop-off on departure
- Internship experience (arranging teaching schedule, logistics, programme supervision and support)
- Infopack with detailed information about local infrastructure
- 24/7 local support (money exchange, medical care, help for applying an internet connection, mobile phone connection, newspaper, magazines)
- Online (Facebook, Whatsapp, Skype, Phone) support from London, UK
- Two day orientation and accommodation near the beach to relax and rejuvenate from the 1st day of arrival.
- Support with visa and other documentation (preparation of legal documents for registration in foreigner’s registration office)
- Advice and support from lawyers to sort out all legal issues and doubts.
- Access to Abroadship’er alumni group
- Certificate of successful completion
What is not included in the fee:
- Flight tickets to and back from India
- Visa costs
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Additional food
- Pocket money
- Local transport
Funding / Sponsorship:
- Given you have the (1) defined qualifications and (2) will stay for a longer than 4 months period, you will be paid a monthly wage (internship stipend) of Rs 10 000 per month (approximately £110 / €125 / $140 per month), which is an average Indian teacher salary.
- Funding is available only for duration of 4 months or longer
- Even if you are paid a monthly wage, you still have to pay fee (check above), visa, flight and other extra costs.
- Given you qualify for the stipend, your exemplary payment (-) or earnings (+) are:
- £110 x 4 months stipend – £580 for 4 months = (-) £140 over 4 months
- £110 x 8 months stipend – £750 for 8 months = (+) £130 over 8 months
- £110 x 12 months stipend – £930 for 12 months = (+) £390 over 12 months
- Qualified intern should fit into one of the categories:
- You hold a graduation diploma in English language and Literature or similar degree that is related to teaching in English
- You are a TEFL, ESL, TESOL holder
- You are experienced in English teaching and confident to handle English classes without the assistance of a regular Teacher. English teaching taught minimum 1 year English to a minimum 10 students.
- Fill the Application form and send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find out in 5 days if you are selected
- Introduce and present yourself via Skype talk
- Pay the fees (defined above)
- Sign the placement agreement and send ID document
- Fill documents and pay a fee for VISA (more info here, fee ranges based on the country, duration of stay and type of visa)
- Purchase tickets (search for tickets here, defining your departure place and day. One way ticket prices to reach India start from £250 / €300 / $350)
- Read the infopack and prepare for the adventure of your life!
Questions and inquiries: Contact Here
English Teaching Internship in India
“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires”. – William Arthur Ward
Why this Volunteering / Teaching Internship?
India is the second largest English-speaking nation in the world just behind USA and most preferred destination for English language Teachers. Teaching in India Volunteer Internship program is aimed to give international teaching experience and exposure to anyone, with or without skills and experience. Teachers with experience, undergraduate diplomas or ESL/TEFL/TESOL holders can also receive funding/scholarship. Teaching in India provides teachers or prospective teachers a life time opportunity to develop and demonstrate their ability to assume the responsibilities of a full-time English teacher in kindergarten, primary, secondary and high schools.
Where this Internship?
English teaching venues are in the States of southern and Northern India. India is a federal union of states comprising twenty-nine states and seven union territories.
What is the structure of the educational system?
Schooling has been conducted in three different stages – Primary, Secondary and Higher secondary. The Primary grade is classified into Lower primary (grade 1-4) Upper primary (grade 5-7) and secondary grade from 8 to 10 is called High school and 8 to 12 is called Higher secondary school. Teaching in India will help to show the value of understanding the world’s unique cultural heritage to Indian school students. Teaching in India will be a good opportunity for interns to introduce their country’s wonderful heritage to younger generations while deeply involved in cultural exchange activity in India. Schools are administered through the channel of government or private sectors. The curriculum of India schools is a mixture of State/ CBSE/ICSE syllabus which is a choice open to the students.
What makes it special?
At dawn it is curious to watch children carrying school bags and swiftly walking through bustling traffic jam to reach their schools in time, an amazing scene of eagerness of the children in their pursuit of knowledge. Usually the schools start at 9.00 am in the morning and ends at 3.00 pm in the evening. In between children have interval and lunch break. Normally the schools function for 6 hrs in a day. Some schools even start at 8.00am and ends at 2 pm keeping the same teaching hours and interval.
How many languages in India?
Astonishingly India is a floodgate of numerous languages. There are 18 official languages and 96 unofficial languages. A child at the level of 1st grade (6 years) has to study state language (Malayalam), national language (Hindi) and English along with subjects like mathematics, social studies, science, arts, computer science, moral science etc. So a child at the level of 1st grade onwards has to learn 3 languages at a time and no one can see this unique feature in any stream of education or any form of education anywhere in the world. In some schools children have the option to select a foreign language (mostly French and German) as their optional third language.
What is the status of a teacher in India?
Indian teachers occupy an elated status in the society. Teachers are highly respected in the society as torch bearers of divine knowledge and responsible for moulding the future of younger generation of India. In Indian society children are taught to respect their parents first and then their teachers. In the status of hierarchy the teachers are second to parents. Children are indoctrinated to imbibe the Indian philosophy of Matha, Pitha, Guru, Daivam, (Mother, Father, Teacher, God).
What one can expect from this Internship?
- English Teaching in India provides a unique opportunity to the interns to take classes in Kindergartens, Pre-school, Elementary school, Middle school and High school.
- In addition, the teaching interns will have the opportunity to assist in academic works and participate in academic seminars and workshops.
- An internee who participates in the internship program becomes part of a unique Indian culture and community sharing knowledge of his culture and language with teachers and students. In return an internee can experience life in Indian culture and community and acquire sharing of knowledge, skill and learn different languages.
- The internship program is open to anyone with teaching experience or without, who have genuine interest in teaching and update their teaching skill.
- The duration of the volunteer teaching in India will be 4 months to 1 year, with possibilities to come also for 1, 2 and 3 months.
- Completion certificates after successful completion of English teaching in India.
- Fee includes accommodation, food, Internet and other organised services.
- Fee include two day beach holiday upon arrival.
Location of internship in India depends on the vacancy of the application and agreement between participant and organizers: Kerala, Tamilnadu, Maharastra, Punjab, Haryana, Assam, Chattisgarh, etc.
Are you a dedicated teacher aspiring to get training and experience in English teaching in India?
Do you want to upgrade your resume, embrace the exhilaration of Indian life, gather valuable teaching experience or build new life skills?
If YES, this internship offer is for you.
Placement available from June to November, since the academic year of Indian schools is from June to March. April and May will be summer holiday for the schools.
Other Internships in India: find here