Training course: Noisy Stuff
Location: Sokołowsko, Poland
Dates: 8-15 October 2018
Number of participants: 18
Participating countries: Finland, France, Poland, United Kingdom
Apply here: Application form
Deadline to apply: 6 August 2018
Date Of Selection: 13 August 2018
Inquiries about this training course: Simone Ferrecchia at email@example.com
Travel costs will be refunded up to a limit of 275 Eur or 180 Eur (applies to Polish participants only) per participant per return trip.
Accomodation and food costs will be covered by the coordinating organization fully.
There is no participation fee.
Noisy stuff is a training course for youth practitioners as well as anyone interested in interfacing youth work with digital DIY and music making. Participants will exchange best practices and experiment hands-on workshops on digital DIY and music making.
Through this project we want to initiate youth practitioners to educational practices that combine music with digital DIY.
Digital DIY and music making can be integrated in various ways, among which: production of DIY electronic musical instruments, music production with computer softwares, crafting of interactive musical objects, etc.
The rationale behind this training course is to introduce youth practitioners to techniques and methods revolving around Digital DIY and music making, to combine the pedagogical benefits of these two approaches to non formal education.
In the long run, we expect to contribute to boosting young people’s digital literacy, notably by developing their coding skills, troubleshooting skills, as well as other 21st century competencies.
– Exchange on tinkering as an emerging pedagogical approach, especially the methodology mixing arts, music and technology
– Sensitize youth workers to initiatives around electronic DIY and digital culture, as well as initiatives that can encourage youth to engage with local maker communities (ex. makerfest, maker faires, etc.)
– Share competences, anecdotes, and experiences between the participating parties on the topic of digitally-enabled non formal education/youth work
The training course will focus heavily on practical hands-on activities. Some of these will involve use of computer numeric controlled machines such as 3D printers and laser cutter. All workshops will be held at Pralnia makerspace, which will enable participants to explore the universe of making and its connections with the domain of non formal education.
Examples of practical workshops which will be held on the occasion of the training course are:
– Introduction to electronic prototyping
– Building musical instruments from scratch, including via digital fabrication techniques (i.e. using 3D printers, laser cutter machine, etc.)
– Crafting low-cost DIY electronic sound amplifier
– Introduction to computer assisted music making
– Discovering smartphone and tablets apps for music-making purposes
– Creation of low-cost DIY microphone devices
– Experimentation of modern educational tools on electronic and computing (ex. little bits, pocket operator, bare conductive)
– Introduction to digital fabrication (laser cutting, 3D printing, etc.)
– Toy hacking, in view of producing original musical instrument
– Get youngsters involved in initiatives on electronic DIY, digital music making, music making, digital fabrication
– Initiate and supervise activities targeting youth on the topics of music making and digital DIY
– Identify and seize opportunities to constantly innovate youth workers’ professional practices
– Ability to interface art and technology in educational contexts
– Anyone with a passion for/interest in digital technologies, and interested in youth work
– Individuals active in the promotion of DIY and/or digital culture interested in running educational activities targeting young people
– Youth practitioners with an experience in digital youth work, or simply willing to launch educational workshops on this topic
– Artists, musicians, beatboxers, etc. wishing to share their competencies and knowledge.
HOW TO APPLY
You can apply via this website or via the following google form:
Applications are open till August 6th, midnight. Candidates will be notified about the results during the 2nd or 3rd week of August. Please check your email regularly during that time.