Training Course: UPS & DOWNS – supporting emotional well
Dates: 18-23 March 2018
Number of participants: 24
Participating countries: Belgium – FR, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Greece, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain
Organizer: Estonian National Agency for Erasmus+ programme
Apply here: Application form
Deadline to apply: 10 January 2018
Date of selection: 31 January 2018
Inquiries about this training course: Nele Mets at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This project is financed by the Erasmus+: Youth in Action Programme. Being selected for this course, all costs (accommodation, travel, visa, etc.) relevant to participation in the course will be covered by the NAs involved in this project – except a participation fee which varies from call to call and country to country. Please contact your Erasmus+: Youth in Action NA to learn more about the financial details, and how to arrange the booking of your travel tickets and the reimbursement of your travel expenses. This TC is covered of TCA2017.
UPS & DOWNS – supporting emotional well-being of EVS volunteers
European Voluntary Service (EVS) is an enriching experience, helping young people to develop their personal qualities and enabling them to change their lives. On the other side, EVS might be a very challenging experience, including tough days, discomfort and stresses, which might result in psychological difficulties. In order to support volunteers in their personal growth, we notice, that there is a need for the basics of the mental health and building capacity to support volunteers in their emotional well-being. There is a noticeable need to increase organisations´ awareness about this topic, willingness to host different volunteers and capacity to support volunteers in different aspects of their life during the EVS.
Before we start. What do we mean by ‘mental health’?
Mental health is a state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community. (definition by World Health Organisation)
There is evidence based data about mental health, which is also relevant to EVS context and increases the need for such training:
• Statistics show that 25-40% of people experience mental health disorder at some time of their life.
• 38% of the people in EU have experienced mental health disorders during the previous year (research from 2011).
• Half of the mental health disorders occur before 24th birthday.
• Increase of the cases in which volunteers have anxiety, depression, break downs, anorexia etc. during the EVS (development or recrudescence of the illness)
Target group of this training course: everybody from European Voluntary Service (Erasmus+ volunteering projects) organisations who are supporting volunteers´ well-being during their service (supervisor, mentor, coordinator etc) from sending, hosting and coordinating organisations. It’s important that participants would be:
• able to work in English.
• able to attend the full duration of the training course.
• at least 18 years old.
Learning outcomes – at the end of this training course participants will:
1. recognise most important signs of mental health problems and interpersonal conflicts;
2. demonstrate knowledge about different approaches towards conflict;
3. describe first steps in supporting mental health and dealing with interpersonal conflicts;
4. implement active listening, assertiveness, supportive feedback and conflict resolution;
5. identify the limits of their own role in supporting the mental health problems;
Last, but not least – we will work towards developing participants´ inner readiness by strengthening their confidence and appreciative approach towards mental health. We hope participants to be more confident, motivated and open to approach mental health difficulties of others.
WARNING! This training course might have strong positive side effects on your personal relationships and might influence other elements of your life, not only EVS related!