Youthwork: Through the Lens of the Other
Location: Romania, Malta, Greece
Dates: one year 2019
Number of participants: 2
Participating countries: Erasmus+: Youth in Action Programme countries
Organizer: Kairos Europe Ltd
Apply here: write to email@example.com
Through the Lens of the Other
We are looking for 2 Youth Workers who would like to be involved in a 1-year project which includes the participation in one capacity building for youths and 2 Youth Exchanges.
The project is called:
“Through the Lens of the Other” aims to introduce and explore new ways of understanding and addressing discrimination in Europe. Critical theories in social sciences explain, through the concept of intersectionality, how oppressive social beliefs and structures (xenophobia, sexism, homophobia, ableism etc.) are interconnected; systematic oppression cannot be understood or addressed with single-issue approaches as they tend to accentuate a specific part of the target groups’ identity and, thus, perpetuate otherness. Co-existing multiple identities demand an approach to integration that is holistic and sensitive to different experiences.
TLO aims to contribute to the formation of a European society tolerant towards vulnerable, marginalized and oppressed groups through a holistic approach to discriminatory behavior.
In specific, the project will:
– Empower individuals and reinforce the agency of marginalized groups thus enhancing their representation;
– Raise awareness on the victimization of vulnerable groups thus fostering empathy;
– Promote positive attitudes towards discriminated groups thus embracing diversity as an asset in a society;
– Reduce prejudice and promote social integration thus fostering inclusion of marginalized people;
– Promote integration and cohesion among EU member states regarding rights and freedoms.
These objectives will be achieved by:
– Developing diverse skills and competences of the youngsters, youth workers and youth organizations;
– Offering open access educational material on the use of intersectionality for fighting discrimination;
– Utilizing original media creations in an awareness campaign against discrimination;
– Involving marginalized groups in civic action and a participatory process of co-creation;
– Introducing a shared analytical framework on the processes of othering.
The timetable of activities will be the following:
- January to March – Research on Intersectionality at Country level
- 16-25 Aprile 2019 – Capacity Building Activity for youth workers in Romania
2 youth workers per participating organisation will attend a 8 day event. The first part will be dedicated to learning about Intersectionality. The second part will be about how to involve youths from marginalised groups and create a short film with them.
- April/ September
Recruiting local youths from marginalised groups and working on the creation of a film
- 9-18 September 2019
Youth exchange on Intersectionality in Malta for 4 youths plus 1 youth worker
There will be a total of 60 participants from all partner countries
- February 2020
Inclusion festival in Athens
During the Festival the movies produced by participants from all countries will be produced.
- 21-30 May 2020
Youth exchange in Hungary for 4 youths + 1 youth worker on Intersectionality and Advocacy
Please apply if interested. It is required a commitment for the whole duration of the project.